Thursday, July 05, 2012

Obama Honours Nigerian On US Independence Day.



A YOUNG Nigerian is among a selected few U.S. military servicemen who were sworn in yesterday as U.S. citizens by President Barack Obama as the country celebrated its Independence Day while also honouring the commitment of the immigrants to America’s national security.
He is Army Spc. Oluwatosin Akinduro.He immigrated to Houston from Lagos, Nigeria, with his parents when he was 6. He said he is the first in his family to become a U.S. citizen and that he hopes to lead by example, both in the military and in his personal life.

“My family is very proud of me today,” he said. “I’m a little nervous, speechless. This is something I’m doing for myself and my family.”

After graduating from high school, Akinduro played football for Rutgers University in New Jersey and hoped to play professionally. When that goal wasn’t realized, he said, he joined the Army and plans to make it his career.

“I have my head up, my chest out, and I’m just so proud of what I’m doing,” he said. I come from a very proud background. I don’t believe in fear too much. With my background, I always believed I could do anything I put my mind to.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home