Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Rock Your Dreadslocks Like Asha And Ayanna

Twins and dreads. These aren’t the first things that come to mind when talking high-fashion. But Asha and Ayanna Diaz, budding designers hailing from the islands of Trinidad & Tobago, admit that is what intrigues people about their fashion line “Wadada Movement.”
They comment about their hair. .............
Ayanna: Through Rastafari we grew to embrace our natural essence. When I was eighteen, I decided I wanted to grow my locks. I saw myself going down a different path that I don’t think I should’ve been on. So for me, it was a complete lifestyle change. I was seeking Rastafari before [locking my hair]. I was asking questions...talking to people. When I turned eighteen, I knew this is what I wanted. So I cut all my straight hair off, and I started fresh.

Asha: I started growing my hair in September 2006. It was a time of transition for me. I just graduated from University and I was not sure of my position in the world. But in the end, the decision to lock my hair really wasn’t a decision at all. It was something deep down within me, knowing this is what I had to do and it was the way of life I should be living. It was a decision I was toiling with for a long time, especially since Ayanna had been growing hers many years beforehand.
So are you going to grow your dreads?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home