Thursday, April 02, 2015

I Will Reject Tenure Extention As INEC Chairman- Prof Attahiru Jega




The chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof Attahiru Jega will not seek a second term as boss of the electoral body when his tenure expires in June.


Jega, who has been commended for conducting a free and fair presidential election in Nigeria told the Hausa Service of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC Hausa) last night which was monitored by our reporter in Abuja, that having played his role in the political space for five years, it was time another person took over.

“I am grateful to God. I was asked to come and contribute my own quota to the national development and I have done my bit to the best of my ability.

“Whatever assignment one will do for five years – just like this difficult one, to me if one is able to successfully accomplish the task, someone else should be given the opportunity, because for me I am not interested and if I am requested to serve again, I will not do it, by God’s grace,” Jega said.

According to him, the introduction of the card reader for the 2015 general elections significantly helped to make the presidential election transparent. He added that the few challenges noted would be addressed in the forthcoming governorship/state assembly elections.

Jega also commented on the allegations of bias against him by PDP chieftain, Godsday Orubebe, at the National Collation Centre in Abuja on Tuesday. “I maintained my calmness because I knew all the allegations were false. There is nothing that frightens me or disturbs me because, of all our actions, we have explanations for them,” he added.

The INEC chairman, who was appointed in 2010 by President Goodluck Jonathan will end his five-year tenure this June. He could decide to go on leave after the elections as he is entitled to the last three-months of his tenure.





Source NigeriaInfor
www.fabmimi.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home