Friday, August 31, 2012

Andy Roddick And Kim Clijsters To Retire From Tennis After U.S. Open.


Andy Roddick


On Thursday, the athlete announced his plans to retire from professional tennis after the current U.S. Open in New York. 

"I have decided that this is going to be my last tournament," Roddick, who is married to model-turned-actress Brooklyn Decker, told reporters during a press conference USA Today reports. "I don't know if I'm healthy enough or committed enough to continue another year." 

Roddick, who turned 30 on Thursday, will play 19-year-old Australian Bernard Tomic at the U.S. Open at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, which could be his last match ever, depending on how he does. 

"I wanted an opportunity to say goodbye," he said Thursday. "I hope I'm sticking around." 
Perhaps the highlight of Roddick's career was winning the U.S. Open in 2003. He ended the season that year ranked at No. 1, the youngest American ever (age 21 years and 3 months) to be ranked at No. 1. He played in the finals of Wimbeldon three times, but lost each time to Roger Federer. 

Kim Clijsters retires after US Open exit

Preparing for what she knew would be her last professional tennis tournament, Kim Clijsters  four-time Grand Slam title winner and mother of 4-year-old Jada  devoted her effort and energy to the US Open.
Clijsters lost 7-6 (4), 7-6 (5) to 18-year-old Laura Robson of Britain in the second round of the U.S. Open, and will head into retirement after she finishes playing doubles at Flushing Meadows.
"It's been an incredible journey, and a lot of dreams for me have come true because of tennis. As a little girl, I got Christmas racquets under the tree and outfits of Steffi Graf and Monica Seles, and I would want to wear them to bed; I was so excited," Clijsters said.
Source People.com and IBN CNNonline

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home