Thursday, May 22, 2014

10Mins With Chidi Anyanwu Chidox, Nigerian Lawyer Turned Movie Writer/Director.

A movie director is a storyteller who needs a lot of people, equipment, creativity and planning to bring his story to a movie audience. And in the process, the director has to hold on to the vision while dealing with temperamental artists, union contract requirements, uncooperative weather, studio time, budget demands and a handful of other uncontrollable uncertainties.We caught up with a Nigerian Movie Director/Write who took us down memory lane on how he suspended Law practice for Movie making and Director,For Chidi ,its a matter of following your heart and pursuing what you loved doing most,even though his parents where against movie making,they later decided to accept it because Chidi cherished it.Continue to read full interview...
Chidi Anyanwu Chidox, a native  From Mbaise in Imo state attended Federal Government College  Vandeikya Benue state,he studied Law at Nassarawa State University Keffi and attended Nigerian Law School Lagos.Chidi started his career in movies as an actor,then he became a director afterwards.
His works include  "Secondary School Girls, Ss Students, Final Year  Students, Another Man's Wife, Blind Game, Fighting 4 Passion, Sacrifice Of Vultures, Career Woman and many other movies.
We had a 10 mins chat with him on the phone in Ghana where he is currently shooting a movie read full interview here.


What inspired you or led you to movie directing?

I came to Nollywood as an Actor. I acted in couple of movies then. Then went further into writing because  right from secondary school days writing has always been part of me
I did some courses in directing along the line and started as an Assistant Director before going fully into directing.


 What made you want to take up screenplay roles in movies? 

 Like I said writing has being part of me from school days. I love writing especially when d story is very interesting and  on point


 What is the hardest part of filming a film? Sequencing, adapting the screenplay to film? 

Every aspect of film making comes with its own challenges. From Screen playing to Casting, Filming & Editing

What advice can you give, from personal experince, to future (hopeful - would be a better word) filmmakers?
My advice to upcoming filmmakers is to remain focused & determined to do somth different. Dont do wat evryone is doing, beliv in doing a good film & telling interesting & entertaining stories.


Which is your most challenging work What were you not satisfied after filming?

My most challenging Movie was "Secondary School Girls, SS 3 Students & Final Year Students"It wasn't easy doing a secondary school Movie using Non secondary school students.
Also the  school i shot the movie is a day school but I have to make it look like a boarding house,It was so challenging but i thank God it came out well, I may not have done perfectly as I really wanted but it wasn't bad after all that was the movie that gave rise to all the  Nollywood secondary school films you watch today.

 How do you get your storyline?
My stories most times come like a Revelation to me, i conceive my them, sometimes I get from people around me who share their life experiences and stories, My producer & some other people I write for also provide their stories and  I do the screenplay.


What challenges are movie directors facing right now? 

 One of the biggest challenges we face as Directors is been paid well. A lot of directors are not paid well. Also sometimes you find situations where some directors are not allowed to do their job as supposed because the owner of the film wants him to hurry things up and finish on time,such a Director works under pressure and may end up doing a bad job,at the end people heap the blame on the director.

How do u rate Nollywood now?

 If I am to rate Nollywood I will say we one of the best in Africa. Even though a lot of people are producing bad movies but there still good ones. At least i make good movies and I am proud of it.
So Nollywood if I must say is an industry that has come to stay.


 I heard you are on set in Ghana,whats the movie about and who are your castes ,
 Yes right now I just completed a movie in Ghana. Is a family & heart touching story of two twins in a university,about their pains, their joy and love. It is an interesting story written  & directed by me Produced by Uchenna Mbunabo (Mr One & Two) Starring Yvonne Nelson, Kalsum Sinaru, Toosweet Anan, Calista Okoronkwo, Salma Mulmuni, Mercy Macjoe & other Ghanaian stars.The movie is shot in some interesting locations in Accra .Our movies are  coming out well are  we are getting good recommendations from everywhere including from outside

What should we expect . Any hope of collaborating with Hollywood in future.
We are  hoping that someday we will collaborate with some Hollywood film makers to do good movies.

See more pictures of Chidox on set in Ghana.


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home